Nasi Goreng (19)
Nasi Goreng is the Balinese rendition of chicken fried rice. Chicken, cabbage, carrots, bokchoy, kafir lime leaves, balinese red paste give this recipe a unique flavor.
1 bowl of cooked rice
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic pieces, chopped
100 gm chicken, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cabbage, chopped
10-12 bokchoy leaves
Spicy paste - (made from garlic, shrimp paste, red chili, kafir lime leaves)
1 Tbsp sweet soya sauce
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground white pepper
Sambal (Balinese condiment)
Nasi Goreng Directions
- Cook a bowl full of rice (boiled) and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic, once the onion turns golden, add chicken to the pan.
- Once chicken becomes soft, add beaten egg to the pan. After stirring for a minute, add a handful of carrot and cabbage. Add 10-12 bokchoy leaves and continue stirring for a few more minutes.
- Add chili paste made from garlic, shrimp paste, kafir lime leaves and red chili, continue to stir.
- Add some more oil if required to avoid sticking and continue to saute all the ingredients together.
- Next, add the cooked rice to the pan and keep stirring until the rice turns yellow in color. Add 1 Tbsp of sweet soya sauce.
- Add salt and pepper and keep stirring on a low flame.
- Your Nasi Goreng is ready to be served, but not without a few garnishing's.
- Pour a spoon full of sambal, add 1 piece of cooked chicken and place a fried egg with the sunny side up on top of the rice.