Chester Pudding (13)
Chester Pudding is a Victorian regional version of a Lemon Meringue Pie, traditionally baked in a shallow tart dish
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon ground almonds
4 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
3 organic eggs
organic milk for glazing
1 additional tablespoon caster/superfine sugar
Chester Pudding Directions
- 1. Roll the pastry out very thinly and line a pie dish with it.
2. Decorate the edges of the pastry (maybe with fork marks) and brush with a little milk.
3. Melt the sugar and the butter together in a saucepan and add the almonds.
4. Stir into this the yolks of the 3 eggs and one white.
5. Heat carefully over a low heat stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
6. Pour into the prepared pastry-lined pie dish.
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 190 degrees centigrade
8. Whip the remaining two egg whites until they are stiff and then fold in 1 tablespoon of sugar.
9. Remove the pudding from the oven and cover the top with the whipped egg whites.
10. Replace the pudding in the oven on the bottom shelf until the meringue top has set and browned very lightly